Friday, February 8, 2008

Re: My new career

More details please.  Did you learn how to drive the 18-wheeler tractor trailers?  Are the school buses automatic transmissions?

--Rob



On Feb 7, 2008 10:32 PM, Errol Bagley <eebagley@hotmail.com> wrote:
Dear Family,   Back in December when I retired (ur became unemployed) I was quite enjoying myself. No church job and no work. I started planning my day with a trip to Home Depot in the morning and a visit to the gym in the afternoon and whatever else that came up inbetween. I soon realized I was becoming bored ( ur broke ) on my current retirement plan so I started training for my new career opportunity. This is acually something that I have had in my head for a few years. Don't ask me why but I have.
 
I took the test for my CDL ( Commercial Drivers License) permit.This is necessary to drive trucks over 26,000 lbs with air brakes, passenger buses, or school buses that haul over 15 passengers. I have always had a love affair with big machinery and big trucks. I watched most of the Ice Road Trucking series this season. That is the three month period each winter when they make roads over the ice covered lakes to truck supplies to the diamond mines deep in northern Canada.
 
I will start out with the Mesa School System driving up to 40 ft. diesel pushers. I have been in training for the passed two weeks and passed all my requirements to start my 20 hrs. behind the wheel training on Monday. The schools here are always begging for new drivers so thay pay you for all the class and training time. The pay is easier to live with if you convience yourself that this is also a needed public service and that you got one more bored retired guy off the streets. It costs the school system $3500 for each driver they put through the program.
 
The work schedule is very flexible with a minimum of five trips a week so when the building starts again I can work my real job back in or maybe I'll be up on the ice roads in Canada next winter. Do they speak French?      Love Dad

1 comment:

Sidney said...

could you please take Bryon with you.....to work or Home Depot or the gymn or any where really