Wednesday, July 1, 2009

FW:

Dear Friends

Having grown up in what I assumed were the most beautiful rocky mountains in the West last week I went to Colorado. I friend of mine talked me into helping him painting a 6000 s.f. lodge. at 10,200 ft elevation between Silverton and Ouray. At this elevation I had to catch my breath climbing between the basement and the main floor of the house. The Aspen groves were so thick that from a distance it looked like you could mow them with a lawn mower. Water was busting out of the mountains and cascading over the rocks at every turn. The road on the "Million Dollar Highway had no guard rail so the snow could be plowed over the edge to a dizzing drop below. Within a half of a mile of the lodge there were a half a dozen abandoned gold and siver mines. Water was reluctant to boil at this altitude for cooking. After the second day we ran out of ice for the coolers so we put the milk in the back of the toilet which was spring fed from above the house.
The electricity came from solar panels with a backup propane generator.

For a long time desert rat this was this was most soothing to the eyes and soul.

Errol




No comments: