Sunday, January 6, 2008

Thanks to all who participated in the Christmas Present Opinion Poll. My two favorite words used were " shellshocked" and "hospitalized".
 
I did think it was great fun to hear the opinions and family traditions of Christmas.
 
I have to admit my Dad did love Christmas and buying gifts (always a few)
 
Dad often had a tree spotted during the summer range riding that he would cut for Christmas.
 
When Christmas fell on Sunday he would hook up the team and hay sled, put bells on the horses, and we would pick up people for church in the mile between our house and the church when we lived in Etna Wyo.
 
Just think , there are only 359 shopping days till next Christmas. 
 
Love Dad

2 comments:

Sidney said...

I loved the read on "Christmas".
personally as a mother I have always felt these tremendous responsiblity to "create " this magical Christmas. Partly because my own Mother went to such great lengths. And not just any kind of magic, now it has to be the "correct" "right" kind too. It's enough to make a sane women crazy. And lets admit it ladies we do have a tendency to all get a bit crazy during that time of year. My family thinks its crazy the lengths I go to in my neighborhood. But for me it's all about a connection. I love the chanllenge of coming up with the gift that isn't costly and someone would like to get.I always encouraged my kids monthes ahead to think about the upcoming event, encouraged them to start finding jobs and ways to earn money. I steered away from drawing names because I didn't want it to seem like a job that you just took care of. I like the connection to one another. Of course as the numbers grow it gets harder.But I know that unless you get into the process of giving the whole gift thing just isn't fun. Yes it seems commercial in some aspect but I don't quite discount it that way. I like the idea that some real thought has gone into the process. Either my kids have been spoiled beyond or they are just naturally grateful because they always expressed to me this big surprise at how much they got and what a wonderful christmas it was. We lived among the very wealthy but never did I hear them express dissapointment. Yes there were lots of gifts to open, not very exciting in in themselve(socks, underwear, razors,) but I loved the "lots" of gift thing. It was the entertainment. Recently I've tried to do different things for that, last year it was an auction, this year we played trivia and earned the spot for the gift game. I just look at people sometimes who say"oh this is so excessive" and think, oh how lazy.There is no wrong or right way of course and I'm always looking for ways to make it better. Next year I think we'll try the challenge of every gift has to be "used". Merrry Christmas!

Leisel said...

Thanks Sidney for joining us. Errol