Monday, April 23, 2012

FW: The Redemption of My Chrysler 300





Subject: The Redemption of My Chrysler 300
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 21:06:39 -0700

Saturday morning a young lady called me and wanted to see my 02 Chrysler 300 that I was selling. By the time I noticed her in the driveway she was standing next to the car transfixed with joy on here face. As I approached her she said " This is the most beautiful car ever. My sister is going to be so jealous". Clearly she needed some work on here negotiation skills. We hadn't even stared talking price yet and she was indicating she could not live without this car. She was 20 years old, white ,LDS. , waiting for a missionary and and worked at Banner Hospital. Now I had always thought my Chrysler was a beautiful car but my daughters thought it looked like a cockroach. I was taking some perverse satisfaction in the fact that a semi attractive young lady was seeing the same beauty  in these 17 inch chrome rims that I had seen. I rewarded her with $200 off of the asking price on the spot. If she had kept talking I probably would have given her a new set of tires. How often do you find this much wisdom and appreciation of beauty in those so young.
 

This car was a full sized American made luxury car. This segment of cars are on life support today. They represent less than 5% of the cars sold in the U.S.  and they are increasingly bought by the aging affluent. For my generation it was, in a way a coming of age to be able to drive such a car. You deserved and could afford something a little nicer than your first 20 years of marriage. I have had my share of Buicks, Pontiacs, and Chryslers and enjoyed each one of them. It was part of the order of life. We knew our age and we drove inappropriately.  Now, in this upside down world I had bought a sub-compact car and a twenty year old nurse was driving away in my Chrysler with a smile on her face. What can possibly be next? My button down shirt collar?  EB

No comments: